2-Ingredient Homemade Butter (+ White Cheese and Labneh Recipe)
Many of you may be wondering why someone would make their own butter at home, when it would only take approximately 3 seconds to reach for a bar of butter and throw it into a shopping cart.
Well the answer to that is, why not?
If you have the time, it’s a good time to be experimenting in the kitchen. This two ingredient homemade butter is one of the few basic recipes that should probably be in your bucketlist. Once you make your own butter, you can use it for pretty much any recipe you can think of.
Making your own butter is easier than you think, and it all starts with just two ingredients. Cream and yoghurt. In the recipe below you’ll find salt in the recipe, but that is optional for flavor. You can definitely make butter unsalted.
And if you’re feeling extra experimental today, there are two more recipes below to make your own white cheese and labneh. Just as easy as making butter!
Before you start making these dairy recipes, have these ready:
- A jar to place the cream and yogurt mixture
- Kitchen towel
- Muslin cloth and strainer
- Double boiler
Homemade Butter Recipe
- Butter: 4 cups of cream
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- flake salt
- Combine cream and yogurt in a jar and mix aggressively. Cover with a kitchen towel and let it sit at room temperature for 24 to 36 hours.
- Place in a fridge for 2 hours, bringing down its temperature to 15C.
- Using a mixer, whisk until the mixture starts to separate. It should turn clumpy.
- Place a muslin over a sieve, and strain out the buttermilk. Transfer to a bowl and press down the butter ball to extract more buttermilk. Another thing you can do is massage the ball in some very cold water with ice, to basically press out as much butter milk as possible. You are going to keep doing this, until that ice cold water stays more or less clear. Take it out, pat it dry and with cold hands, knead it a few times more.
- At this point, you have the option to add salt. Place it on parchment paper and then mold into the shape you want.
Homemade White Cheese
- 900 grams of full cream milk
- 1/4 cup of white vinegar
- a pinch of salt
- In a double boiler, add in milk. Heat it up slowly to 80C.
- Take off the fire and mix in white vinegar. You will see curds beginning to form. Let it sit and cool for 20 minutes.
- Place a muslin cloth over a sieve and strain the curds. You can either squeeze or let strain slowly until you reach the desired texture.
- Form the cheese into any shape you want. This is also good when forming it flat (like a burger patty) and frying it in olive oil.
- 4 cups of whole yogurt
- 1 tsp of salt
- Mix whole yogurt with salt. Place a muslin cloth over a sieve and strain.
- Wrap the mixture in the cloth. You can put some weight on top to help draw out the liquid in the yogurt. Leave it for a day or two, the longer you leave it out, the thicker the consistency will become.
- Remove from the cloth and serve. It can be shaped and served like cheese, or spread on a plate with lots of different aromatics like sea salt, extra virgin olive oil, some spices like zaatar or dukkah and any herbs you might have handy.
See how to make homemade butter: