Aligue, otherwise known as crab fat, is a favourite among Filipinos to mix with either rice or pasta. Since it’s a bit pricey, crab fat fried rice or crab fat pasta has always had decadence written all over it.
This recipe is no exception, combining the richness of the crab fat with coconut milk, while enhancing the flavour with spicy tuyo, kesong puti, and sun-dried tomatoes. This is all balanced out with a splash of calamansi juice to help cut through the fat and then rounded out with some garlic breadcrumbs.
- 125 grams Linguine pasta
- 1/4 cup Aligue (crab fat)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 pieces Bird's Eye Chili
- Sun-dried tomatoes, for garnish
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 tbsp spicy tuyo (bottled)
- 2 tbsp Kesong Puti (local white cheese)
- 5 pieces calamansi
- Spring Onions, for garnish
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 Make garlic bread crumbs* : Blend garlic and bread in a blender. Heat butter in a pan, then sauté garlic and bread until golden. Add a pinch of salt.
- 2 Deep fry red onions: Thinly slice red onions and deep fry in a small pot over low heat. Remove from oil when almost golden brown.
- 3 Next, bring a pot of water to a boil, add the linguine and cook until al dente.
- 4 While the linguine is boiling, sauté 2 cloves of minced garlic, finely sliced red chili, and anchovies (tuyo) in 2 tbsp of vegetable oil.
- 5 Add a dash of salt and pepper.
- 6 Once the garlic is nearly brown, add 1/4 cup of crab fat. Sauté.
- 7 Add 1/4 cup of coconut milk, sauté.
- 8 Lower heat and wait for linguine to finish cooking.
- 9 Once the linguine is done, strain and dump into pan with crab fat sauce.
- 10 Mix linguine and sauce over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Turn off heat then add the juice of 2 calamansi. Mix well.
- 11 Transfer to a plate or bowl, and garnish with slices of calamansi, finely sliced spring onions, kesong puti, sun-dried tomatoes, and garlic bread crumbs.
NotesGarlic Bread Crumbs Ingredients *
- 1 slice of white bread
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- Salt to taste