Find yourself running out of time for breakfast in the morning? Apple Bircher Muesli, my current quick and easy breakfast obsession, is loaded with protein, complex carbohydrates, fibre and good fats: all the vital nutrients that you want for breakfast to keep you full for longer and for blood sugar control.
Bircher Muesli is essentially soaked oat mixed with nuts, seeds, and fruits. When oats are soaked, their starches break down, and that improves their digestibility and makes them more easily absorbed by the body. This recipe does not require any cooking, and it literally takes 5 minutes the night before to prepare once you have all the ingredients ready. Feel free to swap the fruits, nuts, and seeds and make them your own version.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 red (or green) apple, grated
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon of pistachios
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon dried currants (raisins or sultanas)
- 1/2 cup soy milk (or milk of choice)
- 5 tablespoons coconut yogurt (or Greek yogurt)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- To serve: organic soy milk (or milk of choice)
- Toppings: fresh or frozen raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, or any fruits you love or have available
- 1 Mix rolled oats, grated apple, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachio, almonds, and dried currants in a bowl.
- 2 Add soy milk, yogurt, lemon juice, honey, and cinnamon into the bowl and mix well.
- 3 Transfer the mixture into an airtight container and let soak in the fridge overnight.
- 4 To serve Bircher Muesli the next morning, scoop 4-5 tablespoons of the mixture into a bowl; add in 1/4 cup of your milk of choice and some fresh or frozen berries on top!