One thing I love about Filipino food is that it goes back to the basics. Oftentimes, there aren’t any fuss or frills in Filipino cooking. All you need is fire, meat, some spices, and you’re good to go. Despite the simplicity of this dish, I knew I had to include Chicken Barbecue as one of my 12 Christmas recipes. It’s easy to make, perfect for serving many people, and it will keep your guests coming back for more.
Having an open-air or outdoor grill can be inconvenient for many who are cooking over the holidays. There’s a lot to prepare, and a lot to clean up afterwards. Barbecuing is so good, but it’s also a hassle. Who has time for that during the Christmas rush? But there’s something so scrumptious about that fresh-off-the-grill char and caramelisation. How can you achieve it without a grill? I’ll show you how with just an oven! So technically, this is Chicken Barbecue without the Barbecue part. Mind-blown? Wait and see.
Whether its ingredients or kitchen equipment, everything you need can be found in Landers Superstore. They now have 4 branches around Metro Manila for your holiday needs! Check them out:
Landers Alabang West
Ingredients for the marinade:
- 5 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 2 lemons juiced
- 4 red chilies
- 2 pieces of whole garlic crushed
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 400 grams of chicken thighs and legs, cut up
- Mix the ingredients for the marinade together into a tub, bowl, or ziplock bag. Place the chicken into the marinade, making sure it’s submerged.
- Let the chicken pieces marinate in the mixture for at least 4 hours up to overnight in the fridge.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade. Put the remaining liquid marinade into a pan. Simmer until reduced and thick for basting the chicken.
- Arrange the chicken pieces onto a baking rack. Putting them on a rack instead of a baking dish or sheet pan will allow all parts of the chicken to crisp up.
- Bake the chicken at 400 Fº for 25 minutes. Baste the chicken with the reduced/thickened marinade. Leave chicken in the oven for another 7 minutes before basting again.
- After the second baste, turn up the heat to 425 Fº. Bake the chicken at this temp for 5 minutes.
Want a more in-depth guide to cooking this delicious, easy recipe? Watch the full video here:
Try this out for yourselves and let me know how it goes! Tag me @erwan on Instagram or use the hashtag #TheFatKidInside so I can see your photos. Hope you all enjoy this one!