Beef Mami Soup (Beef Egg Noodles) Recipe
Since it’s the -ber season and we’re all just reaching out for our favorite comfort food, this recipe should definitely be in your must-try list. It’s a recipe entirely made from scratch— yes, even the noodles (though dried noodles can definitely be used for this recipe).
Beef Mami is a noodle soup with Filipino-Chinese origins, first recorded in Binondo, Manila. The soup is made from a rich beef or chicken broth, along with chewy egg noodles. There have been many variations of mami ever since its creation, and here’s my take on the recipe.
READ MORE: 10-Minute Stir Fry Noodle Recipes
How to Make Beef Mami
- 300 g all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 large eggs
- 1 to 2 tablespoon water (15 ml)
- Add water or flour as needed
- In a mixer, add flour, salt, eggs, and water. Mix for 10 minutes until it turns into a smooth dough. Cover with a damp cloth for 30 minutes.
- Dust a flat surface with flour. Section the dough into three parts and roll out through a pasta machine. Fold in half, and repeat the process five times, dusting flour with each pass.
- Use the pasta machine to cut the noodles into strands. Toss with flour so it doesn’t stick together. Set aside.
Beef and broth
- 5-6L of water
- 900g brisket
- 6 scallions (3+3)
- 6 slices of ginger
- 6 pods star anise (3+3)
- 1 tbsp cardamom pods
- 2 sticks cinnamon or chinese cinnamon
- ½ cup peanut oil
- 12 cloves garlic
- 1 medium white onion
- 1 piece palm sugar
- ½ cup dark soy sauce
- ½ cup mirin
- ½ cup light soy sauce
- cracked black pepper and salt to taste
- optional: soft boiled eggs and chives
- Cut brisket into 1.5 inch cubes. Slice ginger, and roughly chop scallions.
- Grind cardamom, cinnamon, and star anise with a mortar and pestle.
- Fill stock pot with 6L of water. Add in beef, spice mix, and vegetables. Bring to a boil. Let it boil for 8 minutes.
- Separate the beef from the broth. Strain the liquid and set aside.
- Roughly chop ginger, scallions, garlic, and onion.
- Heat a pan with olive oil. Once hot, toss in the vegetables. Add in more star anise. Sweat for 5 minutes.
- Add palm sugar, beef, light soy sauce, and dark soy sauce. Bring to a simmer and add in the beef broth. Simmer uncovered for 2-3 hours.
- Once the beef is tender, separate them from the broth. Strain the broth.
- Option: In a pot of boiling water, add cold eggs. Boil for 7 minutes. Immediately place in an ice bath to stop cooking.
- Boil noodles for 90 seconds or until cooked. Serve immediately with the broth, beef, chives, and egg.