The Milk Tea Craze
Milk tea has been one of the biggest food trends for years, and lots of shops and restaurants have caught on to the milk tea craze. The popular drink has its origins from Taiwan. It was an idea that sparked from iced coffee, the then-popular drink in the 80s. It was in the late 80s that the pearls (aka boba/bubbles) were introduced. From then on, the drink skyrocketed, with no signs of slowing down. Green and black tea are the classic flavors, but variations include fruit teas like passionfruit and honeydew melon.
Recently there’s a new variation of milk tea that’s been the talk of the town— brown sugar milk tea. It’s a sickeningly sweet milk tea that’s finished off with copious amounts of brown sugar syrup. People go as far as lining up for hours just to get their hands on this! Instead of braving the lines, why not make it at home? Here’s a food hack that’ll be worth your time and money.
For the pearls (good for about 8 drinks)
- 1 cup of Boiling Water
- 1 cup of Dark Muscuvado Sugar
- 2 & 1/2 cup of Tapioca Starch
1. Bring water and sugar to a boil. Lower to a simmer.
2. Add in tapioca, let float and then stir in. Keep mixing until it thickens into a dough
3. Remove from the pot and let cool a little, then knead it until it smooth and combined.
4. Roll out into a log. Cut log into manageable pieces. Roll out those pieces into thin 1cm strips and then cut the pearls. Roll them into a sphere.
5. toss them in tapioca starch to make sure that they don’t stick to each other.
4 cups of water to 1 cup of muscovado sugar. Bring to a boil. Put in the pearls. Let boil and bring down to simmer. Simmer for 25mins. Strain them out and plunge them into ice cold water.
4 cups of water to 2 cups of brown sugar this time. Bring to a boil. Add in the pearls. Simmer everything for 20mins. Remove from heat, transfer to a boil and let cool down for 20mins. You can keep the pearls in this syrup.
Extra Thick Syrup
1 cup of water to 1 cup of muscovado. Bring to a boil, then a simmer, cook down to your desired consistency.
Tea and Milk mix (for 2 drinks)
1. Steep 2 bags of tea in 1 1/2 cup of almost boiling water. Let sit for about 15mins. remove the tea bags and cool completely in the fridge.
2. Shake the liquid with 1/2 cup of full cream milk (you can really add any quantity you want – depending on how strong you want the flavour to be)
Take a glass, put in as many pearls and syrup you want. Line the glass with the extra thick syrup. Pour in the milk tea mix. Done.
Watch how to make Brown Sugar Milk Tea here:
What recipe should we try next? Let me know in the comments!