I thought my weight before was normal. At 70 kgs, I even thought my weight was kind of cute so that didn’t stop me from eating chips, fast food, and all the unhealthy stuff. And though I played in the volleyball varsity team, that didn’t stop me from putting on weight.
And as much as I hated to admit it, I was getting bigger and bigger and that made me want to start losing weight. I tried to limit my rice intake to only 1 cup of rice every meal and started researching on ways to lose weight. I even tried to count my calories through the myfitnesspal app. I thought all that was enough to make me lose weight but it wasn’t.
I wanted to try going to the gym but was too shy to actually start by myself. Nobody wanted to go with me and I was too self-conscious to go on my own so I didn’t push through with that idea. So instead, I just worked out at home using the 7-minute workout app. Coupled with dieting, I thought it was enough effort on my part. But I still failed to lose weight.
But I didn’t want to start trying to find what would work best for me. The thought of quitting never crossed my mind. So I mustered all my determination and pushed my shyness aside and started working out at the gym by myself. I felt super self-conscious but it was from here that I considered the real start of my weight loss and fitness journey. Being around people who had the same goals as mine made me more determined to achieve my goal.
I also made a lot of changes in my diet. I cut down on eating unhealthy food from fast food and ate a lot of veggies instead of pork. I ate real food instead of the processed stuff and became more independent along my weight loss journey. I realized that while having a fitness buddy might help you, ultimately, it will boil down to helping myself achieve what I want. There’s no one else who could motivate myself more than ME.
And in just 4 months, I lost 11 kgs. While it was a proud moment to see that number on the scales, it was even better to gain a new perspective on life and health. It all starts with yourself and it’s up to you to make what you want happen.
WEIGHT LOSS TIPS
1. Have the courage to change. Put all your reservations and shyness aside and just do it.
2. Know the 3D’s. Dedication, Determination and Discipline.
3. Never ever skip meals. It helps you keep full throughout the day and avoid overeating.
4. Have at least 5-6 small meals a day. Same principle as above.
5. Focus on yourself. don’t waste your time comparing. Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind. The journey is long and in the end, its only with yourself.
6. Get enough sleep.
7. Exercise more often. or at least 4 to 5 times a week.
8. Give yourself a cheat day. Its okay to have a cheat day once in a while but not everyday. Know your limitations.
9. No excuses. remember that you are stronger than your excuses. don’t let yourself get to you.
10. KEEP GOING.
Got your own weight loss story? Send it in to email@example.com! Don’t forget to send 2 before and after photos and 10 tips!