K-Drama Eats: Crash Landing On You Fried Chicken Recipe
It’s long been established that Korea has mastered the art of fried chicken. Korean fried chicken (KFC) is known for its extremely crunchy exterior (thanks to the double frying method) and its distinct red sauce.
If you’re a fan of watching K-Dramas, specifically Crash Landing On You, you’ve probably seen this dish countless of times. The fried chicken looks so good from the screen, you just want to reach out and grab it. Good thing we have a recipe right here so you can make KFC at home.
What you’ll need
- 1 cup cornstarch or potato flour
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp msg (optional)
- 1 x 1.5-2.5kgs whole chicken or equivalent in other chicken cuts
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 cup Frying powder for batter
- 1 cup Frying powder for dipping
- 1/3 cup of vodka
- 1.5 tbsp of fine salt
- 2 tsp of pepper
- 1/2 cups of water
- 1/3 cup (75g) ketchup
- 1/4 cup (45g) gochujang
- 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1/2 cup (65g) minced garlic
- 3 tbsp (15g) fine red pepper powder
- 1/3 cup (50g) brown sugar
- Season the chicken parts with salt, pepper, and vodka. Cover and place in the fridge for at least 6 hours.
- Prepare the coating by mixing flour, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, baking powder, and cornstarch. Set aside.
- For the red sauce, heat up a pan and combine water, ketchup, gochujang, soy sauce, garlic, red pepper powder, and brown sugar. Simmer and adjust the heat according to your taste.
- Coat the chicken with a mixture of milk and frying powder. Dip the chicken in the dry frying powder.
- Deep fry at 150C for 10 minutes. Rest for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil to 175C and deep fry for a second time. Drain the oil and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Serve it with plain coating or mix it with the red sauce and top with roasted sesame seeds.
Serve it plain or combine with red sauce and top with roasted sesame seeds.