Leche flan. It’s only customary to serve it during special occasions such as Christmas and fiestas. Spot the iconic oval tin at the dinner table and everyone instantly knows what it contains. This rich and creamy dessert is heaven on a plate (or in this case, llanera). The traditional leche flan recipe only calls for a few ingredients and is quite easy to make.
You can even try and experiment with different variations of leche flan. Solenn went out of the box and added corn, and topped it off with some toasted coconut. Once you get the hang of the technique, making your own version of leche flan will be a breeze.
Scroll to the bottom for the complete recipe.
Solenn and I did a Round 2 of our Sibling Cook-off, and I wanted to see if I could make a strong comeback from the previous battle. This week’s challenge is— you guessed it— leche flan. I have to say it was a tight battle all the way to the finish line, but as with all battles, there could only be one victor. Find out for yourself who won the leche flan cook-off in the video below:
Enjoying the cook-off series? Let me know what dish we should try next!
- 10 egg yolks
- 230ml evaporated milk
- 410ml sweetened condensed milk
- 120ml thick coconut cream
- 1 tbsp milk powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 10 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 Place 3/4 tbsp of sugar in each llanera. Move it around the open flame, melt it until light to dark brown (depending on the flavour you want). Let cool.
- 2 Beat the egg yolks slowly. In a separate bowl mix coconut cream, evaporated milk, condensed milk and milk powder. Add vanilla essence, ginger and orange zest. Stir in the eggs slowly. Let stand for 30mins. Strain the whole mixture to remove the bubbles and infusing agents.
- 3 Pour the mixture in the llaneras. Tap the mold to remove bubbles. Place them individually in an oven dish, fill up with hot water, until its reached 3/4 of the side of the llaneras. cook at 180°C for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- 4 Let cool for 30mins, place in fridge for an hour up to overnight. Invert on a plate and serve.