When kitchens are getting smaller or time is running out, it’s best to rely on multi-purpose equipment. There are a bunch of multi-use cookers and ovens out there, but what’s best for your home?
I’m testing out the Samsung Smart Oven in my own kitchen. I’ll be making Orange Fried Chicken using the smart oven. This oven has a bunch of uses but for my recipe today, I’m trying out the slim fry function. It’s perfect for those who want to fry but don’t want to use a lot of oil.
Orange fried chicken is such a go-to recipe for me because it’s a real crowd-pleaser. Who doesn’t like fried bits of chicken coated with a crunchy breading and then coated in a sweet, tangy glaze? It’s perfect for children and adults alike. But it can be hard to achieve just the right textures (crispy on the outside, juicy on in the inside) without using a traditional frying method. Can the Smart Oven rise up to the challenge?
Watch my video below to find out!
Orange Fried Chicken Recipe
Coat the pan with a drizzle of cooking oil. Heat the pan in the microwave oven at a high temp to get it nice and hot. This will allow the chicken to sear and crisp up. You can put it at any temperature that’s hot enough, but I put the smart oven at around 300º to 350º.
Mix together in a bowl:
- Sesame Oil
- Soy sauce
- Rice vinegar
- Mirin or rice wine
- Brown sugar
- 1 tbsp of 1:1 cornstarch and flour mixture
- Orange zest
- 1 egg mixed with salt and pepper (for the breading)
- Boneless chicken thighs, skin on and cut into even pieces
- 1:1 cornstarch and flour mixture
- 2 tsp ginger, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- Coat the boneless chicken thigh pieces with the egg mixture.
- Dip each piece into the cornstarch and flour mixture.
- Arrange the pieces onto the hot pan from the smart oven. Make sure they’re spaced out and not covering each other in the pan.
- Place the pan with the chicken into the smart oven. Using the slim fry function, cook the chicken at number 3 (the highest heat setting).
- Take the chicken out after the full program runs (about 17 minutes).
- Add the sauce and the chopped ginger and garlic. Mix well and put back into the smart oven.
- Cook the chicken again at the same setting (slim fry, number 3).
- Remove the chicken from the smart oven after cooking for 5 minutes. Toss into a bowl and mix with the sauce to coat all the pieces.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve.
Want to get your very own Samsung Smart Oven? Check out their Facebook page for more details.