Popeye’s Chicken Sandwich Recipe Hack
Everybody has been going crazy over Popeye’s chicken sandwich in the past few years. What’s so special about the chicken sandwich, you may ask? Why did this simple sandwich recipe break the internet and was declared ‘sold out’ in 14 days? Even the late Anthony Bourdain gave high praises to this fast-food cult favorite.
Popeye’s seems to nail every single aspect on what makes a perfect chicken sandwich: from the big, crunchy, juicy, piece of chicken to the incredibly soft but perfectly toasted brioche bun that encases the sandwich.
Now, this recipe seems incredibly simple but it all boils down to the technique.
For this recipe, I added a twist by making a salted egg mayonnaise instead of the classic mayo because let’s be real, everything tastes better with salted egg. Here’s how to make Popeye’s chicken sandwich at home!
- 2 pcs boneless chicken
- 2 pcs burger buns
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- pinch of salt
- 1 pc salted egg yolk
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 5 pcs curry leaves, whole
- 1 1/2 tbsp condensed milk
- 1 tbsp Japanese mayo
- 2 pcs pickles, thinly sliced
- Marinate the chicken in a mixture of sour cream, buttermilk, and chili powder. Cover and let it marinade overnight in the fridge.
- For the breading, combine flour, garlic powder, paprika, and salt. Add a drizzle of the marinade and mix into the flour until it forms small clumps.
- Dredge the chicken in the breading, forming a thick coating.
- Heat deep fryer until it reaches 180C. Once hot, place the chicken in the deep fryer. Fry until golden brown. Set aside.
- For the salted egg mayo, separate the yolk from the salted egg. Heat a pan over medium heat and add in butter. Saute the garlic and add the curry leaves.
- Once the garlic starts to get a little color, add in the egg yolk. Break it down until it is well incorporated with the butter.
- Add in the condensed milk and mayo. Mix until everything is combined.
- Toast the burger buns in a pan with butter. Set up the sandwich by spreading the salted egg mayo over the bun, topping off with pickles and the fried chicken. Add the remaining mayo on top of the chicken and finish it off with the top bun.